Vancouver Council heard from over 200 speakers before ultimately voting to freeze the police budget for 2021, setting the stage for a standoff with the Police Board.
Kennedy Stewart is also chalking up some wins with his decriminalization motion and increase to the Empty Homes Tax.
CANADALAND exposed a sweet deal between UBC and Postmedia and the NPA’s board is back in the news.
Ian talks a bit about the latest study from his workplace, the BC Humanist Association, on prayers at municipal councils and the Park Board releases a survey showing strong support more space for bicycles and pedestrians in the park.
And the District of North Vancouver almost made Christmas even more dark this year.
Image credit: Flickr/British Columbia Emergency Photography
- Vancouver Budget
- Justin McElroy budget highlights
- Budget highlights from Christine Boyle
- Live budget debate thread Justin McElroy
- Vancouver police board approves $6.4 million increase to VPD budget
- Vancouver Won’t Increase Police Budget, But Balks at Defunding
- City of Vancouver freezes police department funding as part of 2021 budget
- Vancouver police chief ‘disappointed’ city budget includes freeze on police funding
- Council targets New Westminster police for 0% budget increase in 2021
- Vancouver council unanimously supports motion to decriminalize drug possession
- Vancouver raising empty homes tax to 3% in 2021 (from 1.25%)
- Vancouver Papers Sold News Coverage To UBC, Documents Reveal
- Dan Fumano: Lawyer says new role with NPA unrelated to lawsuit against Green councillor
- The Duty of Neutrality Beyond Saguenay – British Columbia Humanist Association
- Atheist group claims Christian-based prayer at inaugural Vancouver Island council meetings violates court ruling
- Stanley Park survey results indicate majority of respondents want road space dedicated to cyclists and car-free days
- Burnaby Mountain Gondola: Phase 2 Public Engagement
- North Vancouver decides against banning Christmas lights after 11 pm (Background thread)
- Here’s why Canadians eat mandarin oranges during the holiday season
- Japanese mandarin oranges put us in touch with history.